Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A Pint of Happiness

        A Pint of Happiness
             
Before we met I thought it all figured out,
   
then you came along and everything was forgotten.
                             
I probably destroyed us by leaving but you changed the plan;
                         
your drinking and my anger have taken over, 

oh why do they have such a strong hold?
                         
If I did not know better I’d say that the bottle loves you more than you love me;
                               
if it cares so much about you then where is it now?
                           
Now I’m out of your life; does it still give you comfort?
                            
I could have given you more than a pint of happiness,
                         
but you chose the bottle and now it’s time for us to move on.
                    
Looking back I feel like we never knew each other completely,
                 
the shame I have for not trusting us is deeper than the love we shared.
          
Chance after chance was given but like so many before we have run dry.
                                
I hope you forgive me; I hope you forgive you! I hope you remember; I hope I do too: 
                  
how precious was our love the day we said, I do! I gave you my all and so did you.  
                                            
However, sometimes we must let go...and for us it is better to let go. 

1 comment:

tressie17 said...

This is a poem that I wrote a few weeks ago. It still could use some work but it represents how I felt at that time. I know that some of you do not know the whole story but I married an alcoholic and the divorce papers are filled out. I know it's sad but I feel relieved to be out of an emotionally abusive relationship. I am getting help with my issues but through the scriptures and prayer, life is getting bearable. If I had the chance of doing it all over again I would because good things have happened because of my marriage but like my bishop told me, the bad far outreaches the good in this situation. Anyway, hope that this poem sheds some light on my feelings about alcoholism and the effects on a marriage. T.M.O.